(FULL) Camp Born To Run: Bisbee Arizona
January 25, 2024 - January 27, 2024$800
Camp BORN TO RUN, a 3-Day Running Reboot
With author Christopher McDougall and Coach Eric Orton
Limited to 12 participants
Come experience the same coaching instruction, group trail runs, and evening storytelling as the “Original Cast” from BORN TO RUN 2: The Ultimate Training Guide in the spectacular backcountry of beautiful, quirky Bisbee, Arizona.
For three days, you’ll be immersed in the same hands-on guidance from “Born to Run Coach” Eric Orton as he demonstrates exactly how he transformed Christopher McDougall from a discouraged, broken-down ex-athlete into a lightfooted runner who could hold his own with Mexico’s famed Tarahumara Indians — and is still going strong today, 20 years later.
This is your opportunity to reboot your running, learning the kind of ancestral skills that make the Tarahumara the greatest ultradistance runners on earth, and can allow you to run faster and farther… forever.
Under Coach Eric’s supervision, you’ll master the “Magic Cadence” that has been the foundation of top runners dating back to Ancient Rome and still embraced by Olympic athletes today. Coach Eric will personally assess your stride, zeroing in on those little wobbles and biomechanical inefficiencies that will transcend your running. Together, we’ll explore Bisbee’s trails and the famous mountain staircases at the heart of the “Bisbee 1000.”
In the evenings, we’ll gather with Christopher McDougall and Coach Eric to chat, answer questions, and share behind-the-scenes stories from that original adventure that became the book, Born to Run. We’ll also hear from film director Sterling Noren, creator of the documentary “Run Free: The True Story of Caballo Blanco.”
At the end of this one-of-a-kind running reboot, you’ll go back home with the tool kit to make your running feel stronger, lighter, faster, and more joyful than ever before. Because our focus is on personalized attention, this camp is only open to 12 participants.
Bisbee is an artists’ haven nestled in the Mule Mountains of Arizona, featuring spectacular mountain views, fine local restaurants, and (depending on whom you ask), maybe even ghosts.
We’ll be based at the boutique Jonquil Motel, a beautifully restored landmark at the base of the Mule Mountains. The Jonquil was purchased by filmmakers Sterling Noren and Eva Rupert and lovingly rebuilt as the base for their mountain and motorcycling adventures. Please see Lodging information below to secure your reservations.
The Born To Run Experience:
During each morning session, Eric and Chris will infuse a combination of foundational skills, drills, and coaching that will be applied to an afternoon group run.
This morning session will be the most structured training run of the day and will be performed as a group, but orchestrated so everyone is running and achieving at their own level of ability.
Eric’s gift as a coach is empowering the individual, and at the same time being able to challenge each individual in their own way based on their personal level of ability, goals, and improvement needs.
Every run will have a training component and a purposeful, group dynamic, using the incredible desert, mountain terrain as the classroom of self-knowledge and run transformation.
This coaching format also provides you the opportunity to engage in questions, discussions, and team camaraderie, which inevitably becomes the heart and soul of the camp and how the collective group empowers everyone.
The high desert is made to be explored and each day we will embark on an afternoon group run. This is where the magic of the desert takes place with the emphasis on exploring and putting your learned skills into action. This is a “group” run, where everyone sticks together and explores the local mountains and trails around Bisbee Arizona. (*Note: This is not a high mile ultra camp.)
The purpose of exploring is ultimately discovering something from within that lives with your forever. Yes, this means the unbelievable spirit of the desert embedded inside your mind’s eye and legs, but also the “feeling” that is created in your body that lights the fire to become an explorer of your running, of your goals, of what is possible. This is the natural gift from the mountains and the ultimate reward from this camp.
THINGS TO KNOW
- Camp participation is limited to 12 runners, so get on it and sign up now. First come, first serve.
- Each day will include a morning and afternoon run/coaching session. Yes, you will be tired, but not too tired or busy to have time to explore the great things Bisbee has to offer.
- To allow campers some free time to explore Bisbee and dietary flexibility, all meals are not included as part of the camp schedule or fees. Each day, we will spontaneously plan optional group eating meet ups at local establishments in Bisbee.
- For the best camp experience for everyone, it is recommended that you be able to run comfortably and easily for up to 2 hours.
- This is NOT a high mileage ultra camp. The group run will be a team environment, “no drop” format, so if you are looking to be the first one finished, this is probably not the camp for you.
- Travel, Lodging, Food not included in price of the camp.
- Reserve your spot with your payment below. Once you have registered, Eric will send you a Runner Profile form to help him get a better understanding of your goals and run background, AND to help him better coach you within the group.
Wed. Jan 24th
- Camp Meet and Greet and Chris McDougall Birthday Party: 6pm (location: local watering hole TBD)
Thursday Jan 25th – Saturday Jan 27th
- Morning: 9-11am Run Form/Strength Skills
- Afternoon: 1:30-4:00pm Group Run (This will not be a continuous 2.5 hr run, but lots of laughing, exploring, and running free)
Host Hotel – The Jonquil is the host hotel for camp. Please call The Jonquil (520-432-7371) to secure your reservation, which is first come first serve. DO NOT book your reservation online.
REGISTRATION IS FULL